Saturday 28 February 2009

Majulah Singapura

The letter arrived this morning. It's from the Singapore High Commission with an attachment letter from the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.

It reads "I wish to inform you that your application for the renunciation of your Singapore citizenship has been registered and you have now ceased to be a Singapore citizen as of 16th Feb 2009. Your identity card and passport have been retained for cancellation."

No matter how much I tell myself from day one that this will not change me and anything else, this is only paper work and part of the process, and this is for my better future, I still can't help but feel that an important part of me has been taken away.

For God sake! I'm one who will get teary filled with national pride at National Day parade, and it has always been that pride that took me everywhere I went. To strive to do my very best. Isn't this the very distorted mentality that was instilled in us from young age that make me who I am today?

In a way I was expecting a few hurdles from the ICA, at least a few questions ask and disruptions, but it has been such an easy straight forward process. I know I shouldn't complaint and should be thankful for this.

I guessed it's time for me to face and accept the fact that I'm no longer a Singapore citizen. Majulah Singapura no more. But tears still shed this time.

3 comments:

don't ask so much... said...

dont cry dont cry. u r forever my bedok girl.

gfkc said...

pls lah! i'll tape the whole cemerony in high definition for u lah! in blue ray of course!

モーモ said...

No matter what...
You're still Kheng Lin from Bedok North.
Always remember that!!