Sunday 3 August 2008

Life On Film Strip

We all have our past. Some we keep them locked in a closet, some you forget, and some do come back, haunt and flashes you once in a while.

Was in Brighton Pride over the weekend. One of the many highlights in summer that ourselves and my group of friends will never miss. Besides that it has great family fun atmosphere, it also have one of the best party tents that many Pride parties failed to have. After about 8 hours of dancing away in a massive circus tent with about thousands of people in it, you do get sucked in so easily by the heat, the music, the bass, and the crowd.

It will always come to a point when you said you had enough. Held on a firm hand, all wide eye, trying not to fall and stepping out of the tent with all the empty bottles and debris on the ground, music still pumping, crowd still jumping.

First it was N. One whom I had a deeply crushed on some years ago. There he was dancing in the crowd with his usual group of friends. The hand still held strong to mine guiding me out towards the bright light. N smiled, I smiled and at the same time trying to balance and not to stumble on the layer of rubbish.

Flashes. Then it was D, someone I dated very briefly three years ago. He said hi, I said hi. He grab my other hand 'I'll call you when back in London, let's catch up.' One of those things deep in your heart you know will never happen. Music was still blaring out from the massive speakers. By then I was out of the tent. Still held firmly to the hand that held me still.

Bright lights. Started walking towards Brighton Pier. Some fresh sea breeze will definitely do me some good. Walking along London Road, a place where I used to frequent and quite familiar with. Looking up to the flat that G lives, on his front window sill, there still sits a silver window planter that I've bought, planted and gave him as his house warming gift. Except that now all the plants and flowers have all wilted. The hand still holding strong to mine.

Zoom passed through a black tunnel, I walked closer to the sea. I can smell it. The seagulls flying above and can vaguely hear the strong waves hitting on the shore. Walked past a favourite restaurant that I used to go with G. But this time, the restaurant was shut, dusty windows and empty inside. Looks like it has been shut for a while. It's feeling colder now because of the wind, I zipped up my jumper and still holding firmly to the hand that has been there all this time.

Walked along the Brighton beach front was a beautiful experience. Everything seemed to be in the right colours again. Evening skies, a light blue one with a little hint of orange sunset. Walked towards the pebble beach, cold sea breeze hitting my face, the smell of the sea, thunder of strong waves hitting the shore, aggressive but yet calming. A burned down pier from afar, pitiful sight but peaceful.

I can hear the crackling sound made when stepping on the pebbles. Lying down flat on the beach, looking up, seagulls flying around, white clouds moving fast across the blue sky, forming different patterns, shapes and sizes. I watch in awe. Then thick grey clouds started coming through, covering fold by fold of the sky. Wild and dramatic. My face can feel droplets of rain coming down, it's getting colder now, but hand still held strong to that familiar hand and arm. The same warm hand that have never left me all these time. Looked across and it was D. Him smiling and talking away all this time. I look over his face and gave him a kiss on his cheek. He paused, smiled and continue talking.

By now, I felt warmth and smiled in my heart. Leaning my head on his shoulder, looked back up in the sky, the grey clouds were gone, blown away towards the North. It's evening blue sky once again. Time to move on. Dust away the pass, leaving all the waves to wash them out into the sea. Walked along back the beach front with D. Still holding strongly to his hand and arm.

Life is like a film strip. Flashes scene by scene in front of you, through directing and editing, you create your own story line, there will always be ups and downs, you choose your supporting acts, but you only need one lead. Especially one with strong and firm hands that will held you up always, stand by you and guide you towards the sunset.

2 comments:

don't ask so much... said...

totally..

Fabien said...

so sex in the city - Mr Big and Carrie.... hahaha