Monday 18 August 2008

Letter To My Nephew

Dear WG,

I'm very upset to say the least when I first got your email. You know that both yourself and your sister are the dearest to me. I do see you both as my own. I was there when you were just born. I was there when I cradled you to sleep. Unlike with your sister, I've never heard from you and have always put it down to the fact that you're just a regular teenage boy. I 'hated' everyone too when I was growing up.

To receive this email for help from you... asking for money to pay back what you owe to a friend was like a slap on my face. It hurts even more when you told me that it's part of your gambling debt. You're only 17!

I'm not sure how aware are you with what happened before in the family... with both your elder uncles, but maybe it's time that your mum speak to you about the past.

I can be like Grandma who have always helped them when they're in trouble, bailed them out from every financial difficulties or take the other route of not helping at all. Looking back and now... I've decided to choose the latter. It's extremely hard for me but I've to do this.

I grew up without a male role model. I grew up telling myself I will not be like them when I'm older. I grew up telling myself I will never be a burden to my mum. I grew up telling myself I have to be independent, never have to rely on others and to stand on my own two feet. I grew up telling myself that I've to work hard like my mum and yours.

I'm your uncle. I'm suppose to be the cool uncle who bring you out for drinks, meals and buy you gifts. I'm suppose to be the uncle you come to when you have questions about Life, and many more. But I'm not the uncle you come to so you can pay off your gambling debts!

You're 17 and if you have the guts and brains to gamble, I truely believe you've the capability to pay off your own debt!

Enough said. Please break this family curse and come to me when you're ready to be my nephew again.

Your Uncle Ah Nin

PS: I've copied this letter to your mum, not that I want to break your trust but she should know of this matter.

3 comments:

モーモ said...

How's the little girl??...well i'm sure she's not that little anymore.
Is she still with her korean bf??
I could def give her some kimchi tips..hee hee

REN said...

She's turning 20 this Oct! I feel so old! :-(

Not with the Korean bf but definitely still eating kimchi! She's now studying in Seoul... don't get me start on that!

Some time its a blessing that we're so far away...

Fabien said...

no way... the best thing is tough love. tell him to sort it out himself, get a job and pay it himself... so one kind!