Sunday 27 April 2008

Wedding Blues

Last Friday we attended Dugan & Det's wedding reception. Dugan is my landlord in his 60s and Det is his partner from Laos who is in his 20s.

First was of course the whole age difference and the ethnicity of both, which was already highly debatable and controversial! Then the dinner was held in a local Thai restaurant / take away place at the end of my road. There were about 30 of us, they laid a long table and it was a Thai buffet. It was plastic plates and cutlery with paper table mats. Great Thai food though. Wine was alright, the table flower arrangements were done by Dugan's 95 years old mother (bless her!) and we were served Sainsbury chocolate cake as dessert.

It was all very unusual and 'unique' should I say, but the most bizarre of all were Dugan's friends! All around Dugan's age with Asian boyfriends (cant really tell where they're from but reckoned all from the same village, they all look the same).

Then a few friends stood up and said a few words, one was drunk and started telling everyone how he 'match made' Dugan & Det in Laos, how they met in a bar where Det was a Bartender ('Great Cocktail Maker' according to his friend), I've to pinch Daniel to stop him from shouting out a comment! And the whole night we keep getting stories from their friends on how both of them met and their last 2 years 'journey', the whole traditional ceremony held back in Laos by Det's parents and Dugan paid for the whole thing, now Dugan is applying Det a Visa and they are travelling around Europe (Det's preference) and Det will be allowed to work as well... you all know where this is going and now Daniel have to pinch me from saying something rude!

It was a very bizarre experience but hey who am I to judge?! Except I worked my butt off and paid my dues and tax while living here in UK, while one village youngster just walked in and got everything served up on a silver platter (well paper plate to be fair)! I'm not bitter or sour at all really... I just wished they are both happy and true to each other... wish them well.

No comments: