Monday 14 April 2008

Dummy Guide To Weddings 2

As mentioned before, the wedding was held up North of England. About 30 mins train journey from Newcastle and 4.5 hours from London.

As part of the wedding party, we stayed in this really nice hotel / pub in a small village near the wedding venue. Nice decor and great atmosphere pub. As D and I are both used to our hotels whenever we travelled and for work, I've to say the place was rather pleasant and with a hint of rustic chic.

Just before leaving for the wedding, D decided to leave the chunky room key with the reception and to pick it up when we were back from the party. It made total sense to me.

Had a blast at the wedding party and came back to the hotel around 2am. Got off the taxi and stood right in front of the hotel. The whole place was shut. No lights, we knocked and not a single soul in the pub. By then we were standing in the middle of this village, dead quiet, FREEZING cold and running around the hotel ground trying to find our way into the hotel. Had too much to drink didn't help as well.

Looking up to our bedroom, which was right above the main entrance of the hotel on the first floor, one of our windows were actually left half opened by me before we left the room.

Without any hesitation, we pulled a wooden table against the entrance wall. I climbed on top of it, both hands on the edge of the roof and got D to push me up while I climb on top of the roof entrance (Thanks to all the low wall climbing skills in the army!). Still in my suit of course and feeling the great effect of alcohol, I balanced myself on the pitch roof, lift the window opened and threw myself into our bedroom.

By then we were pissing ourselves laughing and were trying not to wake the whole village up. In the end, managed to open the emergency exit from the back of the building and got D in.

Lesson number 2. When in a country hotel in the middle of no where, do not expect the same level of service of a city hotel. Even if you have to carry the chunky room key around, to avoid being locked out of the hotel, do it!

No comments: