Saturday 20 January 2007

Ghost (Gwai Lo)

What a thought provoking movie! A true story about Chinese immigrants in UK... Their miniature lives in this so call Land of dreams and opportunities...

How one deal with hard cold facts? Facts that are true, real and present? Facts that exist in our lives? We can laugh and joke about it... but maybe that's just a way of us not acknowledging the truth... but what can we do with the truth?

One thing is for sure... I am so so lucky! With my life and the education that I've received... to be able to live in London... a career, a pleasant lifestyle, a cosy pad, good friends around me... and furthermore... legal...

One do take a lot things in life for granted... health, happiness, opportunities, freedom and love. So one should always be mindful, thankful and grateful of one's Life. I know I am.

Fresh from the movie and in a Chinese restaurant with Fabster... looking at faces of the people around us... One do wonder... What have they left behind? Have they earned what they are looking for? And if it is all worthwhile?

There were tears at the end of the movie... not just out of sadness and shock but also tears of gratitude...

My heart goes out to the victims and their families of Morecambe Bay... May them rest in Peace...

3 comments:

Fabien said...

I have since read up about the film and there is a dispute about the scene where they were beaten up by the other cockle pickers.

REN said...

Really? What they are claiming that they didn't beat them up?

Fabien said...

yeah that it didnt happen.. but I am thinking that is to avoid a legal law suit, after all if they did beat them up, it forced the chinese to work at night and therefore inadvertently they would have contributed to their deaths in a manslaughter way