Sunday 20 May 2007

West End Boys

What a cultured weekend! Went to see Evita on Friday and Kiss of the Spider Woman on Saturday in the West End. Both shows are ending their run in a weeks time, hence the rush to catch them both quick.

Evita was ok. Nice set, great dance routine, good performance from Elena Rogers who played Evita, but have never been a fan of the movie version anyway. And with all words sang out throughout the show, maybe it was my hearing but there were some unmelodious pieces, which I don't get. Of course most of the main theme songs like 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' were a crowd pleaser and performed in great gusto. Overall, good production and a great night out in the West End.

Kiss of the Spider Woman was played in Donmar Theatre. The same theatre where Nicole Kidman played the Blue Room and Gwyneth Paltrow played Proof. Have always wanted to go see something in there and by chance came across the play Kiss of the Spider Woman! A movie I remembered when I was growing up. Very vaguely remembered William Hurt in his flora Kimono and sweaty Raul Julia both held up in a prison cell. Didn't really understand a thing what was going on except that William's campy character had a thing for Raul's character. And that fascinates me in that young age, which until today I still remembers the movie. One can only wonder why when such a movie captures my attention then?! :-)

Very intimate theatre (if only I was here to see Nicole, I would have touch her from where I sat!), one prison set on stage, two fantastic actors, one beautiful but tragic story.

The 1st half was a great emotional build up and by 2nd half, my water pipes were ready to run!

The scene when Valentin pushes Molina away because of fear of being cared and fancied by another man, the sudden outbreak saddened the fragile one, the fear in both men's eyes were so similar but feelings so contrasted.

One of the most memorable scenes was when Molina came back to the cell from her routine interrogation and broke the news to Valentin that he's going to be transferred to another cell... the sadness that descend on both the actors in that instance was unbearable... you can actually feel that ache in the heart that something precious is going to be taken away from you. I definitely felt it too.

Valentin telling Molina to be strong. Not to be taken advantage of when he's free and he has every right to be who he is and not let anyone else tell him otherwise and belittle him as a woman... Molina simply answered "... but I am."

Then the emotional outburst from Molina crying out loud that he rather give up his freedom and all he wanted was to stay in the cell with Valentin, and the final silence embraced and farewell was by then too much to bear! My water works were in full operation!

Tears aside, I've not been moved by such performances for a while. With massive budgets and high tech computer effects in most movies now a days, one wonders what for?! With a great storyline that links everyone hearts together and great acting from true actors, that is all we need!

Big thumbs up for the production and I am so glad that I went to see it! To be part of these great poignant moments and to be able to understand the story and feel the emotions this time round... I'm so glad I'm not 13 years old anymore.

1 comment:

Fabien said...

Glad you liked Kiss of
I remember reading the book by Manuel Puig translated into English from Argentinian.. it was a very difficult book to read as I could never tell who was talking (since it was written like a play)

Sigh* I wish I was thirteen still!