Monday 6 October 2008

By Appointment

I've done it. I've taken my Oath of allegiance to the Queen and take the pledge of loyalty to United Kingdom. I'm a bona fide British citizen now. Regardless of where I decide to move next in the future, I can always come back here. London is my home now.

It all happened so quickly. The whole ceremony didn't take more than 40mins. The Lord Mayor of Westminster was present and conducted the ceremony. We even have a picture of the Queen in the room!

I don't feel any difference to be fair. I'm still who I am and nothing is going to change that. I'm still proud to be a Singaporean regardless of what my travel document states otherwise. I still have the Singaporean in me and no one can take that away. Like the saying goes... you can take the boy out of Singapore but you can't take Singapore out from a boy.

I promise that I'll still hold dearly to my true Singaporean self and will still get teary when watching National Day Parade;-)

2 comments:

The Feedbackstar said...

I'm SOOOOOO coming to London to stay a month with you after quitting my job and just slack off like a certain Tai-Tai we know so well! Long live the Queen! Again, a tinge of loss....feels like we have a body part taken out, now that you don't do the Majulah Singapura anymore. Happy for ya nonetheless but come back soon to visit us ok Miss High Street Kensington?

Fabien said...

u have to cheer for the british cricket team now lol