Tuesday 16 October 2007

Cheers

Found myself in a Covent Garden pub last Saturday, just before the all important World Cup Rugby semi final game between England and France.

The place was heaving! With loads of beer drinking, high testosterone charged males waiting for the game to start. We got our drinks and positioned ourselves not far from the plasma screen. I even had a 5 minute crush course on rugby. And by then I was set for my very first full length rugby game and I'm going to try to enjoy this!

Not being in a live match or a stadium watching a sporting event before, this was definitely an eye opener for me. The adrenaline rush, all the ever so funny jeering, the constant flow of alcohol and the cheers! Loud and low I might add. Very manly. Very Butch.

And that is when I realised I have a very different cheer from the rest of the room. To be fair, I'm not saying that I was screaming but let just say cheering on Kylie before she come on stage in Wembley is slightly different from the cheers I was hearing in that pub, least to say acceptable (I'm sure some of you can relate to that!).

I found myself lowering my cheer in order to blend in with the crowd and when the final whistle was blown... England won! And the whole place literally shook! People jumping up and down, hugging each other and more cheering and song singing went on further!

I kind of just looked amazed. Really enjoyed the evening, was good fun though a stiff drink was required after all the excitement! So coming back!

2 comments:

Fabien said...

It was a terrible game... the last 10 minutes could have gone either way, it was so close to call and I couldn't believe it when Wilkinson did his drop kick which sealed France's coffin... I cried going home - so stupid :(

REN said...

Well its a different story if you support the England team! ;-)