Monday 19 February 2007

The New Frontier

Have not felt this excited before for a holiday for a while! I think it's a mixture of going away on my own and visiting a whole new city for the first time that made it so exciting! Have heard so much about the beauty of Edinburgh and after almost 6 years in UK, I am finally making this trip.

And probably also the fact that I've managed to 'double booked' myself for the weekend! Yes I have!

Got to know S from Edinburgh for a while... must be at least a year ago when we know of each other... then of course we lost touch when I was disconnected from the World Wide Web for a while but got in touch again this year and have just been chatting online and speaking to each other on the phone since...

Than there's A from Glasgow... a fun guy to chat to whom I've recently met.

Both very different in their on rights and both very keen and promising.

The 'problem' all started when I have my trip organised... first told S and he went 'MIA' after... which I thought fine, let's catch up with A then... told A about my trip and have arranged to meet on Saturday for lunch... and of course S 're-surfaced' asking about my trip and wanting to meet and spend the weekend together (he was very sick for 2 weeks... bless him... hence didn't keep in touch)

So here I am! 'Double booked' for the weekend in Edinburgh! I'm sure I'll be able to sort this mess out!

Got up really early that morning before the train up North... I even made my own sandwiches for the ride! That just goes to show how excited I was! Kind of fun too... it does feel like a field trip!

The train was rather pleasant... on time and clean... sat myself down next to an old lady... smiled and said hello. Organised myself... got my iPod, papers, books, magazines, food and drinks on the table... ready for my 4.5 hours of LONG DISTANCE train journey! Leaving London! Before I knew it, the lady did exactly the same minus the iPod of course! And this time she smiled at me...

The journey was actually really good! An hour out from London brought you to sights, space and colours that you were never familiar with living in London. All the rural areas, the fields, and even the sea... the ancient walls that still remains along the coast... all so amazing! And least to say, more and more non-Londoners were getting on the train... Quickly then turned to my magazine and avoid eye contact but still couldn't help myself but checking out their big chunky jewellery and funny accent... Both men and women!

When the train was just leaving Newcastle, this young chap came on and sat just across from me... neatly dressed in his long coat and smart suit underneath... typical boy next door look and with charms that all our mums will sure approved of... he smiled and nodded and went on to settle himself down...

Than came all his text books on the table... 'Guide to Anatomy' & 'Quick Reference to Surgical Procudures'... gosh we have a young doctor on board! I reckoned he was probably going for his exams or interviews in Edinburgh... At that very moment I wanted to hide my Heat magazine quickly and was hoping that I've something intelligent to read in my bag! The best I could find was Living etc!

Even though the young doctor got off a station before mine... he smiled before he left and this time I smiled back at him...

Looks like its already a good start to an interesting weekend in Edinburgh!



3 comments:

Fabien said...

You trained to Edinburgh!?? Oh my god can die.. I am impressed with your environmentally friendly travel option... and also with your double-booking, but not with the Heat magazine hahaha

The Feedbackstar said...

Ren mei mei, you travel but no pictures? WHY NO PICTURES? Use your phone cam also can lah. Show some sights baby.

Gong he xing xi!

REN said...

Actually its not that bad... if you think of the time you spend travelling to Heathrow, check in, security, waiting time, flight time and travel time from airport to central Edinburgh... 4.5 hours from King's Cross straight to Edinburgh central is not that bad at all!

No pictures because no camera!! :-)

Gong Hai Fai Choi!!!