Sunday 17 February 2008

East Meets West

A city where East meets West - Istanbul. Stunning place. The last time I was here was 11 years ago. Visiting the city again brought back memories and felt all grown up as well.

My appreciation of this city is so different from before. Then it was just another city with bad traffic, ugly looking old buildings, minimum English speaking, loads of ancient history, makets that sells everything and anything but nothing caught my interest and a city which was just not quite like home Singapore. So young and ignorant I was.

Coming back again, the traffic both on land and sea is still as bad but the noise and kiokness adds energy and character to this city. The buildings old and new stand next to each other, new within old all sat by the straits radiates an old world charm. There is still not much English spoken but the Turkish language adds to the ethinicity of the place. Now the history facinates me. The smell and the colour of the spices in the Grand Bazaar excites me. Its still not the Singapore I know and not even London, but it's Istanbul. So young and ignorant I was.

No comments: